Latest G2 version is 1.75
- A NewTek bug fix led to some massive slowdowns in render speed when using transparency and area Lights. Fixed by removing our workaround to the LightWave bug.
- Fixed a problem with blurry reflections and transparency.
G2 version 1.71
- G2 now follows Exclude Radiosity and Exclude Caustics toggles.
- Now supports the beta Sentinel 64 bit dongle driver for Windows x64.
- SSS area light intensity was not being respected when shown in FPrime. Fixed.
- Double sided surfaces sometimes had black artifacts when shown in FPrime. Fixed.
- Very rarely, some surfaces (especially ones using a refraction map) would not show properly in FPrime until you first did an F9 render first. [Found by Panikos!] Fixed.
Known LightWave Issues
- LightWave can crash if an image is edited or changed while a plugin
(like G2) is in the middle of querying it.
- LightWave's shadow alpha buffer does not "see" G2 surfaces.
Known G2 Bugs
- Loading an Art Mode image sometimes doesn't succeed (the image shows
up blank). Trying again (or using LW's Image Editor to load) works.
- Pasting surfaces in LightWave's Surface Editor or applying a preset
to a surface, while a G2 preview
window is open and in the middle of refreshing, can sometimes (luckily
rarely) crash LightWave.
- G2's own cut/paste buttons don't immediately force the G2 preview
- Mac-only, clicking on a G2 window from Finder does not activate
G2's window. You must click LW's window first, then G2's windows are
G2 version 1.70
G2 version 1.5
- The G2 preview now spends extra time working on areas that are near
the mouse cursor. This lets you point at important regions to get
a clear view of that area faster. Just move the cursor to a region...
there's no need to click or wiggle the mouse. This effect is useful when the
preview is ultra-large, big enough that it takes a noticable time
- Light Groups are used so extensively at studios, sometimes even
8 were not enough. The master panel now allows 12 light groups. Note
that the preview still only has special group switches for the first
8 groups (mostly because there's not enough room for the extra buttons
when the preview is shrunk to minimum size.)
- The per-surface light group boosts now support 12 groups. They are
now arranged in pages for easier reading, and also print the light
group names (not just numbers.)
- The "Info" window showing the detailed breakdown of a
pixel's colors now allows you to cycle through lights and light groups
in pages. Previously you were stuck seeing only the first few lights,
with no way to view later ones. You can also now resize the window
wider to see longer light names if you need to.
- LW's export of diffuse, luminous, specular, transparency, mirror
and translucency attribute now work. (Using LW's Render Buffer Export
- Item picker buttons now show more information when multiple items
(or items with very long names) are used.
- Mac G2 panels now let you "F9" to start a new LightWave
render. Previously you had to click on the main Layout window first,
which was minor but consistently annoying. The PC has always allowed
- Applied several speedups to general rendering, which speed up most
scenes by 3-4%.
- There's now a copy/paste button pair on the Master panel light group
page. This lets you easily copy a set of objects to use with a different
- The light group "Label" string is renamed "Notes"
to help show that it's an informal place for making your own names
or notes. It's not used by G2. The "Label" name sounds a
little too much like an important command.
- There's now a "Set" button for master panel object groups,
just like light groups. This lets you pick one or more items in Layout
or the Scene Editor and make them into a G2 group without having to
scroll through the item picker.
- The object and light picker panels are now better sized. The previous
ones were big to hold the possibility of bones, but those are uneeded
for G2's object and lights. The listbox showing item names is wider,
to help show very long names (especially with layer objects).
- Renaming a light or object will now update the G2 interface with
the new name immediately.
- Deleting a light or object doesn't leave "ghost" items
picked in G2 interfaces any longer.
- Load-from-scene support is now much more robust.
- Macintosh now has "proper" minisliders that act like the
PC and don't stop at the edge of the screen.
- In Screamernet rendering, Film Grain didn't work when used in "relative"
mode. Our bug, fixed. Thanks to Jesus Pinal's report.
- Sometimes, in scenes with high ray recursion, and with surfaces
that had BOTH transparency and reflection, G2 scenes were painfully
slow, sometimes 5 or even 10 times slower than LightWave. Most of
this slowdown was our bug, now fixed.
- A rare but possible corruption and even crash when using multithreading
with G2 on the Mac (only) was found and fixed. Our bug, fixed.
- Fixed a bug where removing G2 from a surface with an open preview
showing many slow area lights might crash LightWave. Our bug, fixed.
- When the entire scene was very small (all objects close together,
and the "world" is about a centimeter or less across), transparency
and reflection rendered by G2 could be slightly wrong, as if they
had too much refraction. This was our bug, now fixed.
- Light Group intensity boosts didn't apply themselves to SSS lighting
- The Boost "Reset" button would reset per-surface light
group boosts, even though those were on a different page of controls.
Isolated LightWave bugs and ( some ) workarounds
- On dual CPU machines, if a G2 preview was open, sometimes changing
LightWave's light exclusions would cause LW's own light and object
names to become corrupted. This is a LightWave bug we've reported.
We've changed our code to use an alternative computation to eliminate
the problem in practice.
- PC G2 can now always reliably read scenes saved from Mac G2. This
is from a LightWave bug that has been documented and reported to Newtek.
We also applied a workaround to G2 itself so it now works.
- Diagnosed a LightWave bug which caused inaccurate spotlight shadows
in the G2 preview but not the render. Analyzed and sent a detailed
bug report to Newtek.
- Item picker buttons now update properly when Clear All Objects is
used.(A LightWave bug, but we found a workaround.)
- Diagnosed a LightWave bug which causes bad rendering when Matte
Objects are used. Sent a bug report to Newtek.
- Diagnosed a LightWave bug which caused speckles in SSS rendering.
Sent a detailed bug report to Newtek.
- Adaptive antialiasing can cause LightWave to skip pixels in processing
other pixel filters, causing artifacts in pixel filters even when
those filters inform LightWave not to. G2 has a new workaround to
force LightWave to do the Right Thing.
- Diagnosed a LightWave bug which caused a crash with shadowmap transparency
mode. Sent a detailed bug report to Newtek
G2 version 1.0 GI
- Renders and previews Sasquatch shadows! Requires Sasquatch 1.5-GI.
- Tablet support for minisliders.
- Support for LW 6.5 Modeler import and export. (LW 7 always worked).
- All 4 reflection modes (environment, image map, with and without
tracing) now render and preview properly.
- Using more than 64 lights could cause weird colored shadows. Reported
by Kuboi-san. Fixed!
- Non-refractive transparency now shows the backdrop image, just like
LW. Reported by James Jones. Fixed!
- Linear falloff lights always acted like point lights. Reported by
Erik Clemens. Fixed!
- Transparency boosting to 0% was funky for previews only. Reported
first by Jeremy Smedley. Fixed!
- Deleting a light now removes it from the Info window's list, too.
- The "Add/remove to objects" generic tools use LW 7's abilities.
G2 now prints an error message in LW 6.
- Volumetric Lights and Hypervoxels could cause a spurious "You
don't need multiple G2 pixel panels" warning when loading the
- Refraction now only happens when the Trace Refraction button is
- Area lights now follow cast/receive/self-shadow options, if you
turn on the "Area Lights Follow Flags" option in the Master
G2 panel. [Off by default because it uses a slower rendering method.]
- Hue shift (and bright/saturation boost) no longer affect the color
of reflected or transmitted light unless you select.
- Previews don't support adaptive sampling with motion blur or field
rendering, this now gives a warning.
- New feature, negative edge values make the edge effects appear flipped.
- F10 sequence rendering wasn't freeing preview frames. Reported by
Olly Reid. Fixed.
- Modeler Hub updates no longer cause crashes when the G2 preview
is open. Reported by Darren Thompson.
- A spotlight with cone and edge width of 0 could crash G2. Fixed.